Read the article ‘Clean energy powers the roof of the world’ about a mountain village and its use of clean energy.
Use the article, an atlas, Google Earth and the internet to locate the village of Sikles and answer the following questions.
- Which country is Sikles in?
- What is the capital of this country?
- Name the two neighbouring countries immediately north and south of Sikles.
- Sikles is located in the Annapurna mountains. Which major world mountain chain do these mountains forms part of?
- Name two other countries in this major world mountain chain.
- How high is the Annapurna 1 mountain, north of Sikles?
- What is the nearest town to Sikles?
- Where is the nearest road to Sikles?
- How are goods and materials transported to and from the village?
- Why is it impossible to build roads in this area of the Annapurna range?
- What method is used to generate electricity in the village?
- What are the advantages of this form of electricity generation?
- Why is Sikles an excellent location for this method of electricity generation?
- How have the villagers helped to reduce the threat of landslides?
- What do you think is the main source of income for the villagers of Sikles?