Read the BBC news article on a migration disaster here
Using the map and the webpage, answer the following questions:
- How many migrants are thought to have died in this latest disaster?
- How many survivors have been brought ashore?
- Where is Lampedusa?
- What countries might these migrants have come from?
- Give five reasons why these migrants might have decided to migrate.
- Give five reasons why these migrants have been attracted to Italy.
- What was the 'Mare Nostrum' operation?
- Why might Italy not be the final destination for some of these migrants?
- According to the UNHCR, how many people died attempting to cross the Mediterranean Sea in 2014?
- How many people were rescued in the Mediterranean Sea during 2014?